Your body is the reflection what you generally eat. Healthy eating reflects a salubrious, fit and strong body and immune system. On the other hand, fried, junk and oily food make your body fatty, obese and full of cardiovascular, metabolic and many more disorders. Today, one of the major disease following cardiovascular problems is cancer.
It is true that to manage cancer you definitely need proper cancer treatment, but how you live and what you eat also affects the potency of cancer to happen and on the cure. So, you must have read about super cancer foods or about okra or cruciferous vegetables role in lowering the risk of cancer in the previous blogs, but do you know what are the top 5 foods to prevent cancer?
Let’s do an extensive search on it:
- Whole grains
- Cruciferous vegetables
Lentils are one of the major parts of many traditional recipes. This form of food is famous from the Neolithic age. Such importance of this food is only because of its good nutritional value which involves a plethora of antioxidants, proteins, and phytochemicals. Lentils are part of the legume family.
In India, lentils are renowned with the name ‘dal’ and you can find a variety of these in the market, for instance, brown, red, yellow, green, and black lentils. Recently, this class of food has been extensively assessed in the context of preventing and lowering the risk of various cancers and this form of food exhibited excellent results in those studies. By including lentils in your diet on a regular basis you prevent your body from making cancer cells.
How do lentils work against cancer cells?
It’s the phytoconstituents of lentils, who worked against cancer cell lines.
- Being rich in polyphenols like gallic acid, procyanidin and tannins, lentils exhibit potent free radical scavenging, detoxifying, and carcinogenic properties, like suppress the carcinogenic oxidized agents’ activity, repair damaged DNA and prevention of binding of carcinogens to the DNA.
- Proteins and bioactive peptides present in the lentils collectively exhibits potent anti-cancer actions, such as apoptosis, anti-proliferation, autophagy, immune-modulation and anti-metastasis.
- Other than these phytoconstituents, lentils also contain fibers, squalene, flavonoids and phytic acid, which also significantly contribute to lowering the risk of cancer.
Whole grains are one of the major consumed foods in many parts of the world. In a healthy world of eating, this class of food also considered as the substitute for refined carbohydrates. Whole grains like barley, millet, oatmeal, brown rice, and whole-wheat bread or pasta are enriched with potent lignans, phenolic compounds, antioxidants, dietary fibers, vitamins and minerals.
How do whole grains work against cancer cells?
Being enriched with these phytoconstituents, whole grains show to improve gastrointestinal health and prevent the risk of cancers like colon cancer. Along with this, the whole grains also exhibits potent chemoprotective properties like the reduction of markers of certain cancers, tumor initiation and tumor progression.
You all are well known these vegetables. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts all vegetables are from this family. We all know these vegetables for their significant anti-cancer activities.
How do cruciferous vegetables work against cancer cells?
The potent anticancer actions of these vegetables are due phytochemicals like glucosinolates present in these vegetables. These vegetables possess potent anti-inflammatory, detoxifying, antioxidant properties and influence the initiation and promotion phases of cancer development.
To maintain the homeostasis of the body, gut microbiota play an important role. You can get probiotics from the foods like yogurt, pickles, tempeh, kimchi, kefir, kombucha and from some sorts of cheese.
How do probiotics work against cancer cells?
The Probiotics bacteria present in the gut by exerting potent immune-modulation and antitumor properties also known to prevent normal healthy body cells from being converted into cancerous cells.
Probiotics can modulate anti-inflammatory cytokines, thereby significantly regulates the process of carcinogenesis. Other than this, probiotics also stimulate phagocytes against early-stage cancerous cells.
Prebiotics are the indigestible oligosaccharides and you can get these prebiotics from the sources like chircory roots, garlic, onions, banana, barley, apples, konjac root, cocoa, flaxseeds, and dandelion greens.
How do prebiotics work against cancer cells?
Prebiotics significantly help to improve nutrient digestibility, nutrients absorption, intestinal barrier function and mucosal immune response. Along with these functions, prebiotics also tend to oppose the chemotherapy-incited intestinal dysbiosis.
These foods being consumed regularly in diet can improve your overall health, immunity and potentially aids in reducing cancer risk and helps in cancer treatment and management.
Point To Consider:
There is no second thought that these 5 foods are best against cancer cells. But, correctly consuming these also essential.
- Best way to consume lentils: Consuming boiled lentils is the best way to grab most of the nutrients from the lentils. For this, for one cup of lentils, use three cups of water. Once the water gets fully boiled, simmer and covered the utensil. On the contrary, dehulling or cooking the seeds can reduce their nutritional value.
- Best way to consume whole grains: For whole grains as well, you can opt the boiling method as lentils.
- Best way to consume cruciferous vegetables: Don’t use boiling method to cook these vegetables, instead go for steaming or else you can microwave the vegetables.
- Best way to consume probiotics: Intense heat can kill the probiotics present in the food, therefore, such foods always be added at the end of the cooking procedure.
- Best way to consume prebiotics: Opposite to probiotics, prebiotics have a different story. These are harder than probiotics and hold up heat very well, so you can easily use these any time during the cooking procedure.
These are some of the points which you can consider while cooking and consuming these top 5 foods. This will helps to get all the anti-cancer phytoconstituents from these foods. Enrich your diet with these foods and enjoy being healthy.
“To prevent your body from cancerous cells, don’t let your body deprived of these top 5 anti-cancer foods”