Gem/Cis/nab-P chemotherapy effective and safe to treat biliary tract cancer

Gem/Cis/nab-P chemotherapy effective and safe to treat biliary tract cancer

In patients with unresectable or metastatic biliary tract cancer, nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine-cisplatin (Gem/Cis/nab-P) showed favorable real-life efficacy and safety outcomes, as per the findings of an observational study published in Therapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology. These outcomes were consistent with the previous phase II trial outcomes.

This multi center retrospective non comparative study was carried out to investigate the clinical outcomes of Gem/Cis/nab-P in people having advanced biliary tract cancer in a real-world setting.

The data of people who received Gem/Cis/nab-P for managing advanced biliary tract cancer were reviewed.

In total, 178 participants (median age 62 years) were allocated to either Gem/Cis/nab-P (n=117) and nab-P addition (n=61) groups on the basis of the starting point of nab-P administration. Out of 178 participants, 21.3% had gall bladder cancer, 43.8% had intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (CCA), and 34.8% had extrahepatic CCA.

Notably, 65.7% people received Gem/Cis/nab-P as the first-line therapy. On the other hand, 34.3% of people were administered gemcitabine-cisplatin-based chemotherapy, which was followed by nab-P addition. In all the participants, the objective response rate (ORR) was 42.1%, while the disease control rate was 84.8%. The ORR was 31.1% in the nab-P addition group and 47.9% in the Gem/Cis/nab-P group. The overall survival and median progression-free survival were 14.6 months and 8.5 months, respectively.

In participants who received Gem/Cis/nab-P as the initial therapy, the median PFS was 9.4 months, and the median overall survival was not attained. Thrombocytopenia, anemia, and neutropenia were the most common grade 3-4 toxicities. Notably, 11.2% of people had conversions from unresectable to resectable disease, and they underwent operation with the curative intent.

A phase III trial is warranted in future to authenticate the long-term survival outcomes of individuals who receive Gem/Cis/nab-P chemotherapy.

Also explore, Pembrolizumab role in treating HER2-positive gastric cancer.

SourceTherapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology
Link:https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/17588359211035983
Original title of the articleReal-world efficacy and safety of nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine-cisplatin in patients with advanced biliary tract cancers: a multicenter retrospective analysis
Authors:Jaekyung Cheon et al.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2021 | Powered by: Admac Oncology